Nature Calls, leave me alone...


BEHOLD her, single in the field,
Yon solitary Highland Lass!
Reaping and singing by herself;
Stop here, or gently pass!
Alone she cuts and binds the grain,
And sings a melancholy strain;
O listen! for the Vale profound
Is overflowing with the sound.
One of the most treasured moments, in our lives, is when we can derive pleasure in solitude, those moments when we can break out into a song, whistle out into the wind, dance a jig, with no one to look at you. Moments when you are not conscious of the world. Those moments, when we can talk to ourselves, when we can dream of life and look at the sky and talk to imaginary fairies or elves.
It`s not that I prefer solitude over the company of loved ones and friends... rather I think it is better to be alone, than in bad company, better to be alone atleast once in a while, when only you and the world exist.
In the above lines, we see how Wordsworth is enchanted by the freedom, the spirit exuded by the solitary reaper, when she sings out to the world, when the valley is filled with her single voice. A moment so divine for both of them. There is no better companion for anyone in such moments, than nature. Sitting alone in a room is not the kind of solitude, we want. In fact, we can stand in the midst of thousands of people and yet be engulfed in the bliss of solitude.
A few months before, I read an article in a weekly about how in metros, many working people have health related issues, mainly due to their loneliness. Yes, it is true! When you are totally lonely, we will soon lose interest in life, lose meaning in life. After all none of us are the first specimen of humans on earth. And that is where solitude differs from total loneliness.
If the solitary reaper, did not have a home to go to.. if she did not have a loving child or if she did not have a beloved person, her songs, in all it`s solitude, would not be enchanting. Man is a social animal and needs company and in a way depends on all other humans residing in this world.
But.. those moments which return to haunt me, those moments, when in sheer solitude, I had found infinite joy, those moments when I had sat in my cubicle alone and drawn my feelings through words upon this canvas of a blog, they shall always be treasured.
Nature gives me company and I talk to the trees, to the sky, to the ground, I whistle and break out into a song, I sit down to write a poem.
Nature Calls, leave me alone...

Comments

Popular Posts